Are you renovating your kitchen and are considering what type of new flooring to install? Then consider opting for bamboo flooring because of the various advantages that it has to offer a kitchen. However, in order to get a balanced view of bamboo flooring, you'll need to familiarise yourself with the disadvantages also. Read on for the various advantages and disadvantages of bamboo flooring.
Advantages Of Bamboo Flooring
To figure out why a significant number of kitchens are kitted out with bamboo flooring consider the following points:
- Durability: in the kitchen the flooring should be impact and scratch resistant. That's because you might drop cutlery, or smash a plate on the ground, and the flooring should be able to withstand that impact. Fortunately, bamboo flooring is one of the tougher wooden flooring types. Like most wooden flooring types, it will require sanding treatment, but this will be infrequent.
- Moisture resistant: due to the fact that bamboo grows in the tropics, bamboo flooring is resistant to moisture. In the kitchen when cooking, the moisture levels can be quite high, and a moisture resistant flooring type is advantageous.
- Cost effectiveness: due to the fact that bamboo flooring is tough you will not need to conduct repairs often. For that reason over the long term it will cost less than other wooden floor types.
Disadvantages Of Bamboo Flooring
To find out what potential problems bamboo flooring can cause you, consider the following disadvantages:
- Poor quality: while a lot of bamboo flooring is of high quality, and has all the desirable physical attribute mentioned above – some types do not. If you pick the wrong type of bamboo flooring, then you will end up with flooring that is soft and can easily dent. To avoid this you'll need to do your research on the bamboo flooring you are about to buy.
- Hollow sound: it is important that bamboo floors are installed with attention to detail. Each part must be secured to the next in perfect alignment, and the subfloor has to be level. If bamboo flooring is not installed correctly then it can make a hollow sound whenever you walk over it.
- Upfront price: the upfront price of bamboo flooring can be quite high when compared with other options. Therefore, when renovating a kitchen, you might feel that you only have enough to spend on the kitchen, but the flooring for the rest of the house will need to be of a cheaper variety.
For more information, contact a business such as Alstonville Kitchens.